Stock Yards Loop - 1946 by cta web on Flickr.
Caption: “A two-car train of wooden ‘L’ cars makes its way around the single track loop of the Stock Yards Branch in 1946. This branch connected to the rest of the ‘L’ at Indiana on the South Side Elevated (now part of the Green Line) and largely ran as a shuttle throughout its life. Elevated track structure snaked its way west into The Yards at around 41st and split into a single-track loop to serve the area where the major packing houses existed, with a handful of stations to connect people with jobs there. Trains operated counterclockwise around the Stock Yards loop.”